Healthy In Candy Land

Caring for our health & our planet one meal at a time

Oct 21 2012

What’s For Dinner 4.0

I think my kids like our weekly menu plan just as much as I do. Almost every morning or afternoon I see them go into the kitchen and look at the list on the bulletin board to see what is for dinner that night. Most of the time (but not always) they walk away saying, “Yesssssss!”

Last week they got particularly excited about Breakfast For Dinner. We’ll have to do that more often!

This week when I asked everyone for their ideas I got “Paninis?” from Erik, “Pasta!” from Jace, and “Salad! Omg, salad sounds so good right now!” from Cameron.

Ask and you shall receive, my loves!

Monday: Veggie & Cheese Paninis with Salad and Roasted Veggies–I have some delicata squash, beets, and carrots I am itching to roast up. I also might try my hand at making gluten free bread so I can have a panini too.

Tuesday: Leftover Apple Chili–A busy night with soccer practice and an event at school will make it a perfect night for leftovers from Sunday’s dinner. I will make some pasta for Jace because he doesn’t like beans.

Wednesday: Vegetarian Phở–Last night we were walking in to a Halloween store and as we passed a Phở restaurant in the parking lot, Cameron said, “Mom, you should make yours again–that was so good!”

Thursday: Quinoa & White Bean Stuffed Acorn Squash with Roasted Brussels Sprouts–I am a week late for adding acorn squash to the menu (per last week’s challenge) but here it is. I can’t wait!

Friday: Homemade Pizza Friday!–It never gets old, I swear.

Saturday: We have tickets to The Haunted Theater (a local ballet performance where they decorate the theater and backstage and everyone wears costumes–it’s so fun and one of our Halloween traditions) and then we will probably go out for dinner afterwards. I’m thinking Thai food.

Sunday: We are hosting our annual pumpkin carving party with our extended families during the afternoon/evening so we’ll munch on the plentitude of snacks I will prepare. One of which will be this:

As well as these Healthy Halloween No Bake Balls Pumpkins:

For more  menu plans and dinner ideas be sure to check out Mommy Run Fast and/or Fitness, Health & Happiness, and if you are so inclined, link up your own menu plan while you are there! We’d love for you to join us.

What’s for dinner at your house?

14 Comments

1. Jeanette says:

OHHHHH!!! love your menu planning..so many ideas so little time! :)

2. Laura says:

I love your veggie pumpkin! I just pinned a similar one on Pinterest, although yours is actually cuter. :) How great that your boys got excited about what was for dinner. This sounds like a seriously delicious week. Paninis? And Pho? Yum!

• Candy says:

It makes it so much easier when my boys give me ideas of what sounds good–if they are excited about it, they’re more likely to eat it! Win, win!

3. Kaylie says:

Those meals look sooooo good! I love Pho but have never tried to make it myself. I think I may just have to try out that recipe! Thank, girl!

4. Apple chili? Yes, please. You may see that on my menu for next week :) And I am a HUGE fan of roasted brussel sprouts. Sometimes we drizzle just a hint of maple syrup on top – the sweetness really compliments the roasted flavor.

• Candy says:

I hope you like the chili! It is one of my family’s favorite meals. I put maple syrup on roasted brussels too! It is amazing and even my kids love them that way, with a little sea salt too. My favorite are the loose leaves that get nice and crispy!

5. Haha! That’s awesome that your kids walk away from checking out the weekly meal plan with a, “Yesssssss!” :D I am a huge Pho fan! I’m gonna have to check out your recipe ;) .

6. Helen says:

Just gone back to look at your recipe for Apple Chili – oh my – I was planning pumpkin chilli this week but I might just throw some apples in too for god measure – what a great idea!!

7. I still haven’t managed to start menu planning yet but I love reading yours! Yet another totally scrumptious week of eats :)
    Sounds like you’ve got a fun weekend planned. Both the theatre trip and pumpkin carving party sound awesome. Love your spooky treats too!
    Have a great weekend you guys xx

• Candy says:

Really? I was wondering if anyone really cared to read about our weekly menu…the end of the challenge is this Sunday so I wasn’t sure if I should continue posting or not. Maybe I will…

WordPress SEO fine-tune by Meta SEO Pack from Poradnik Webmastera